Spring is here! Time to think about giving your daily routine a refresher? How’s your skin & beauty routine looking?
Just as important as taking care of your teeth or your diet, your skin is something you should care for and protect on a daily basis.
Implement these short steps during your morning and nightly routine and your skin will thank you. The earlier you adopt these habits, the better off your skin will be.
I struggled with acne as a teenager and after several different hardcore medications, I finally rid myself of it.
However, one positive result of the acne issues was learning the importance of a great skin care routine early on in life. But, it’s never too late to start!
Just follow these steps:
1. Cleanse Your Skin: You may think plain soap and water will clean your skin, but you could actually be damaging your skin. A regular bar of soap that isn’t designed to act as a cleanser can over-dry your skin and won’t clean your pores properly. Your cleanser should wash the dirt and makeup away and leave your skin pure. To clean properly, wet your face and lather the cleanser in gentle circles around your face and neck. Rinse your face and gently dab with a towel to dry. No harsh rubbing or scrubbing needed!
2. Use Toner: A toner gets rid of dirt, oil, and makeup that sits deeper in your pores. But most importantly, it helps restore your skins natural balance. Basically, if your skin is too oily it will reduce the oil, if it’s too dry, it helps re-moisturize your skin. Put some toner on a cotton boll and work in small circles over your entire face. Also, don’t confuse a toner with an astringent that can strip your skin of too much oil and leave your skin over-dried. Astringents are often too harsh for most skin, and when your skin gets too dry, it will actually over-produce oil, which is counter-productive.
3. Moisturize: End your skin routine with a good oil-free moisturizer that contains SPF. It helps seal in moisture and protect your skin. Your moisturizer should always contain SPF, even if you aren’t spending the day in the sun because you will be exposed to UVA and UVB rays, which cause skin damage. Plus, if your moisturizer has it built in, you’ll never forget it.
4. Eye Cream: I never thought much of eye cream, as I’m only 24, but I had a skin care professional recently tell me that it is important to incorporate it into my Skin and beauty routine. By the age of 22, your body stops producing the necessary oils around your eyes. Don’t worry about anything with wrinkle reducers or anything fancy, but your regular moisturizer is too heavy for the thin skin around your eyes so you’ll need something that’s specifically an eye cream.
Other skin-saving tips:
- Get enough sleep: Your body repairs itself while you sleep, and so does your skin! A good night’s sleep — that means 8 hours — will allow your skin to repair itself too. It really does repair more than dark under-eye circles. Your body releases natural chemicals like collagen, but it won’t do things properly if it’s sleep deprived.
- Hydrate: Drinking the standard 8 glasses a day will show in your skin. Just like your body will thrive if you’re getting enough water a day, your skin will stay hydrated, healthier, and more beautiful!
Adding all these pieces into one well-rounded skin and beauty routine really will make a difference.
You’ll notice healthy and happy skin in no time!
Author Bio: When I’m not accessorizing with purses and hobo handbags in my fabulous day job, I’m writing my fashion blog, settling into newlywed life, and loving on my precious puppy, Luna. Health and beauty have always been an interest of mine, and I enjoy discussing tips with others who appreciate it too!